Arizona Humane Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Animal Experience Volunteer Trainer
at Arizona Humane Society
POSITION SUMMARY: Train and provide support for Animal Experience Volunteers at our South Mountain campus in accordance with established care protocols, policies and procedures through all three levels of training. Able to perform all basic animal care functions including cleaning and enrichment and train volunteers in these duties. Hold a key role in the advancement of the training program by evaluating current practices and making recommendations for improvements. Ensure volunteers operate safely and efficiently, animals are kept in a clean, healthy and safe environment. Collaborate with manager, supervisor and Volunteer Engagement (VE) on volunteer related matters. Ensuring both the volunteers and animal needs are met or addressed in a prompt manner. Encourage teamwork between volunteers and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must possess strong people skills, effectively communicate and support volunteers and staff.
- Able to create and cultivate positive volunteer relations.
- Have a passion for training and coaching people.
- Flexible with hours of shifts to meet training demands. This may include weekends, early morning as well as evening shifts.
- Maintaining individualized calendar of scheduled training sessions.
- Confident and well trained in the care and handling of both cats and dogs in order to train volunteers.
- Perform most of the training of the volunteers assigned to the program. Evaluate their progress for level graduation as it pertains to cleaning, care, handling, feeding and enrichment activities.
- The ability to perform training session in a group setting or one on one and provide coaching in the moment to volunteers.
- Ensure Animal Experience volunteers understand and carry out care responsibilities accurately, safely and efficiently while meeting the expectations of the program.
- Contribute to training SOP'S, videos, handouts, related training documents and adjust as needed for efficacy.
- Communicate training success and issues as needed with Animal Care and Experience Supervisor, Manager and Volunteer Engagement.
- Ensure you and our trained volunteers are providing an Excellent Experience Every time.
- Work with the Animal Care Supervisors, Manager and VE on scheduling.
- Interact with and assist other departments as needed.
- Respond to requests for assistance from any personnel in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Ensure applicable Standards of Care processes are communicated to and met by volunteers.
- Perform Animal Care and Experience Specialist duties when not training or when shelter needs dictate.
- Participate in the creation and/or update of training documents as needed.
- Demonstrate Innovation, Compassion and Excellence and provide an Excellent Experience Every time.
- Support the overall mission of Animal Care and Experience by ensuring all AHS animals receive: kindness, compassion, low stress handling, positive interactions, mental stimulation, and physical exercise daily.
- When not conducting training sessions, will perform all Animal Care and Experience duties as required, including assisting teammates in between training sessions.
- Responsible for keeping the Animal Experience area tidy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must currently perform all Animal Care and Experience duties efficiently and correctly.
- High school diploma OR GED.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise work activities.
- Basic knowledge of animals, animal handling and supervisory experience preferred.
- Must possess strong organizational, public relations, telephone and verbal communication skills.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Able to assist with developing budgets, doing payroll and estimating costs.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: N/A
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance and the ability to attend functions on off days occasionally. Access to reliable transportation. This position requires the ability to split the work week between different shifts and locations.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
Thank you for your interest with the Arizona Humane Society. We are Arizona's largest, private non-profit, animal shelter. We hire individuals with a passion to do a great job, and that have a compassion to help all animals.
Due to the high volume of applications received, candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the hiring department will be considered for an interview.
If you are among the highest qualified, you will be contacted to schedule an interview within two weeks of your application submission.
If you are not immediately selected for an interview, your application will be retained for a period of six months for future possible vacancies. Please do not call or email for your application status.
Please check our website often for new job opportunity posting. www.AZHumane.org
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.