Arizona Humane Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital Vet Tech II
at Arizona Humane Society
Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. We offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence.
Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital Vet Tech II
Assists the veterinarians in the treatment of animals and independently evaluates animals to determine adoptability. Assists the veterinarians in all aspects of AHS clinics including surgery, radiology, dentistry, laboratory diagnostics, client education, clinic asepsis, fluid therapy and the administration of prescribed medications.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist in the admission of patients.
- Administer treatment to the injured animals currently in the hospital.
- Collect, prepare and submit all lab samples to outgoing vendors.
- Perform physical exam on all animals; verify adoptability determination or appropriate avenue for disposition.
- Assist in training Clinic Trainees.
- Keep all clinic areas clean and orderly; restock supplies as needed.
- Shoot, develop, log and file radiographs adhering to all required radiation safety procedures.
- Assist in all areas of surgery.
- Perform Felv, Felv/Fiv and Heartworm tests, implant microchips and administer any necessary vaccines.
- Complete and maintain all records.
- Clean and prepare all instruments for packing and autoclaving.
- Clean and disinfect kennels after patients are released.
- Fill veterinarian prescriptions and provide clients with instructions for administration.
- Follow departmental procedures for euthanasia including administration of drugs and loading deceased animals in the dump truck.
- All diagnostic results, complications or instructions will be conveyed to the owner by the veterinarian on duty or relayed verbatim per their instructions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education / Certifications / Licenses:
- High school diploma/GED
- Completion of a veterinary technician program preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in a veterinary clinic/hospital
- Must know phlebotomy, immunology, parasitology, endocrinology, pharmacology and perform safe and humane animal handling.
- Must be proficient in anesthesiology.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
Language Able to speak, read, write and understand English. Spanish language skills helpful.
Technical Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment) and able to learn other software programs as necessary.
Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. There may be occasional wet floors, animal noises, odors, and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
Thank you for your interest with the Arizona Humane Society. We are Arizona's largest, private non-profit, animal shelter. We hire individuals with a passion to do a great job, and that have a compassion to help all animals.
Due to the high volume of applications received, candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the hiring department will be considered for an interview.
If you are among the highest qualified, you will be contacted to schedule an interview within two weeks of your application submission.
If you are not immediately selected for an interview, your application will be retained for a period of six months for future possible vacancies. Please do not call or email for your application status.
Please check our website often for new job opportunity posting. www.AZHumane.org
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.