Arizona Humane Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Vet Tech II - Shelter Surgery
at Arizona Humane Society
Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. We offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence.
Vet Tech II
Specializes in assisting veterinarians in all aspects of AHS' Spay/Neuter including surgery, laboratory diagnostics, fluid therapy, emergency care as necessary, and the administration of prescribed medications.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrate commitment to spay/neuter initiatives with a positive attitude.
- Provide excellent patient care in all perioperative phases for up to 40 cats and/or dogs per day.
- Administer injections such as pain medications, vaccinations and other medications, implant microchips, and perform testing as directed by the Veterinarian.
- Intubate animals, place intravenous catheters, perform venipuncture and administer fluids as needed.
- Monitor vital signs of sedated and anesthetized patients in preoperative, operative, and postoperative phases.
- Stay current in knowledge of emergency drugs and protocols.
- Communicate in effective and professional manner with public and all staff members.
- Know veterinary medical concepts, including, but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks. Be able to communicate such information to staff.
- When Veterinarian has documented information about an animal's condition, adequately enter information and maintain all records and document data through computer program.
- Follow AHS standard procedures for post-operative care of patient and never leave animal unattended.
- Work well both independently and cooperatively as part of team.
- Remain composed while working in fast-paced environment.
- Assist with or perform and properly document euthanasia.
- Represent AHS in professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Attend required staff meetings and training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be to assist in the Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital , radiology, dentistry, laboratory diagnostics, bandage and wound care, and clinic asepsis.
Education / Certifications / Licenses:
- High school diploma/GED
- Prefer completion of a veterinary technician program, experience may substitute for education
- Valid driver's license
- At least 3 years of experience in a veterinary clinic/hospital setting
- Must know phlebotomy, immunology, parasitology, endocrinology and pharmacology.
- Safe and humane animal handling skills are required.
- Must be proficient in anesthesiology.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
Language Able to speak, read, write and understand English. Spanish language skills helpful.
Technical Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment) and able to learn other software programs as necessary.
Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. There may be occasional wet floors, animal noises, odors, and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.