St Jude Thaddeus Parish
Job Title: Coordinator, Religious Education Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Department/Location: St Jude Thaddeus Parish - San Luis, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Pastor, School Principal, or Director of Religious Education, is responsible for assisting with the coordination of the Religious Education program for a Parish or School.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform as a lay ecclesial minister in support of the parish’s spiritual and pastoral mission.
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures.
- Assist in articulating a vision within the community to include an assessment of needs, setting of priorities, setting of goals and objectives, and the implementation of plans of action
- Recommend changes to and coordinate curriculum, assess needs, incorporate prayer, service and outreach at all levels.
- Assist the pastor, principal, or DRE in administering Religious Education programs to include program coordination, assign catechists and volunteers, keep sacramental records.
- Assist in recruiting and assist in the formation of Catechists, including Catechist education and training, adhering to Diocesan guidelines.
- Assist with oversight of religious education staff.* Coordinate as necessary, activities with Diocesan staff.
- Ensure adherence to personnel policy guidelines and other parish and diocesan guidelines.
- Prepare reports as necessary.
- Assist with ensuring adherence to Diocese of Tucson Safe Environment requirements.
- Assist in drafting and implementation of Standard Operation Procedures (SOP’s) for youth activities as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal education and office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- Must have a working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of the Diocese and Catholic Church; be in full communion with the Church
- Excellent communications skills, verbal and written; excellent human relations and interpersonal skills
- Exercise courtesy to fellow employees, parishioners and the public
- Must be a self-starter; well organized; perform multiple tasks simultaneously and work with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment; punctuality is a must at all times; weekend and overtime work may be required.
- Proficiency in computer technology to include word-processing, spreadsheets and power point.
- Professional bearing; clean and neat personal appearance.
- Ability to successfully pass a background and criminal history check.
Education and Experience:
- An Associate’s degree in business, education or public administration or equivalent experience.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a Catholic religious education environment as an educator or practicing catechist.
- Level 1 catechetical certification or equivalent education.
- Bi-lingual (English-Spanish) preferred
- Level 2 catechetical certification or equivalent education preferred