Diocese of Tucson
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Diocese of Tucson
San Carlos Mission School
Job Title: Catholic School Principal Exemption Status: Exempt
Department/Location: San Carlos Mission School / San Carlos, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the pastor, the school principal functions as the school’s spiritual and academic leader fostering Catholic Identity in accordance with the school’s mission statement and philosophy; and is also responsible for supporting the Diocese of Tucson in its mission to evangelize and catechize youth in a Catholic School environment. The Principal shall be a minister of the Gospel and Catholic Teaching both academically and behaviorally while at work and in personal life.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recognize and support the unique Catholic Mission of the school by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church; a school principal may not espouse any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Church
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the principal’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral structures
- Exercise leadership in all phases of education, including co-curricular activities
- Is responsible for the planning, operation, supervision, and evaluation of the school’s educational programs; promote a pleasant and effective teaching and learning environment
- Be responsible for administering the school in accordance with diocesan and local school policies, applicable state law, and the policies and standards of applicable accrediting agencies.
- Hire, supervise and develop competent faculty and staff in accordance with diocesan and accrediting agency policies and evaluates teachers and staff as required
- Demonstrate professional responsibility in enforcing diocesan and school policies and regulations; enforce adherence to the Diocese of Tucson Handbook of School Policies and Procedures and Diocese of Tucson Personnel Policy Guidelines and Procedures
- Provide for the safety, welfare, and care of students; ensure development of faculty and student codes of conduct which reflect gospel values; additionally, enforce established discipline standards
- Manage an effective and efficient records system maintaining complete, accurate, and current personnel and student records in accord with diocesan school guidelines and accepted standards
- Manage school plant facilities maintaining a clean, safe, and orderly campus as required by diocesan school guidelines
- In cooperation with the pastor and the school board, manage the financial matters of the parish including preparation and adherence to approved budgetary guidelines
- Work cooperatively with the pastor and school board in building a faith community; give evidence of lived Gospel values by personal example and by being an active member of a faith community; be open to the importance of a personal faith journey
- Cooperate with school and diocesan administration; work effectively with all staff members to promote positive relationships with students and parents.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding
- A working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Roman Catholic Church. Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church. If not a baptized Catholic, must nonetheless abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life.
- Excellent communications skills including written, verbal, public speaking, and presentation skills; must have excellent communications skills with children and adults.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player.
- Be available for evening and weekend work as necessary; have reliable transportation.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work under pressure.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing and the use of school related technology.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a school ministerial environment
- The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check
- Display sound judgment in dress and general behavior; exhibit professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance at all times.
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree or equivalent in Education from an accredited institution
- Possess State of Arizona Administrative Certificate
- Possess Diocesan Ministry Certification or equivalent, or have a plan to attain the required Level II Certification
- Meet the requirements of the Arizona Department of Education and the applicable accrediting agency guidelines for principals
- A working knowledge and understanding of best practices in teaching methodology and child development
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish)
To apply: https://www.diocesetucson.org/human-resources/employment-opportunities/