Primary Function: Under the direction of the school principal, the Teacher is responsible for supporting the School and the Diocese of Tucson in their mission to evangelize, catechize, and educate youth in a Catholic School environment. The teacher shall be a minister of the Gospel and Catholic Teaching both academically and behaviorally while at work and in his/her personal life, "Live in a manner worthy of the call you have received." (Eph. 4:1)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this Ministerial Position:
- Recognize and support the unique Catholic Mission of the School by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The teacher may not espouse, in word or deed, any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Give evidence of living Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of a personal faith journey; strive to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example.
- Help build the School’s faith community by a demonstrated willingness to participate in, and help plan, School religious and service activities.
- Lead and participate in classroom prayer daily.
- Demonstrate effective planning skills by preparing lessons designed to implement and achieve academic goals and objectives as adopted by the School, along with a Catholic religious curriculum as articulated by the School.
- Demonstrate competence in teaching by demonstrating current, thorough knowledge of the academic and religious curriculum as specified and be able to communicate effectively with students; be able to organize classroom learning and materials to maximize student time on tasks as well as motivate student learning.
- Develop and use effective methods of evaluation that are directly related to curriculum objectives and to concepts and skills taught; consistently, clearly, and effectively evaluate student progress.
- Establish a consistent disciplinary approach which promotes self-direction and positive self-image; set high standards for student behavior and manage inappropriate behavior effectively.
- Maintain a functional and pleasant learning environment.
- Cooperate with School and Diocesan administration; work effectively with all staff members to promote positive relationships with students and parents. Specific attention will be given toward prompt attendance at scheduled faculty trainings and meetings.
- At all times demonstrate professional responsibility in enforcing School policies and regulations.
- Maintain confidentiality of information; display sound judgment in dress and general behavior. Specifically, Teacher will follow School dress code standards.
- Abide by rules and directives received from the principal; perform other, specific duties as assigned.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual capabilities, and the ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Roman Catholic Church. If a baptized Catholic, must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- Excellent communications skills including written, oral, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player.
- Be available for evening and weekend work as necessary; have reliable transportation.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing and the use of excel and related technology; ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a ministerial environment.
- Complete a criminal history and background check.
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited Institution
- Certified by the State of Arizona as a Teacher
- Level I Diocesan Ministry Certification
Covenants of Employment:
St. Ambrose Catholic School / Tucson, AZ is a Roman Catholic religious organization and that all employees are expected to respect and conduct themselves in accordance with the values, teachings and morals of the Roman Catholic Church and by Arizona state law. Under the "Zero Tolerance Policy", no one will be knowingly assigned or retained to serve in the school when that person is determined to have engaged in the abuse of a minor or to have violated boundaries in dealing with minors.