Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Family Support Specialist
at Home Start
Job Summary: Responsible for delivering high quality in-home visitation services to support healthy and secure attachment between parents and children. Completes supporting documentation and assessments according to Healthy Families of America and First Steps policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement curriculum using the Healthy Families of America model and the Parents as Teachers curriculum tailored to the specific needs of each family on the Family Support Specialist’s caseload
- Provides case management services including: identification of family needs and goals on case plan with ongoing monitoring and follow-up on progress towards those goals
- Deliver supportive services to clients including, but not limited to supportive counseling, crisis intervention, mentoring, motivational interviewing and parent education
- Educate families on child development topics and developmental milestones and provide activities to enhance child’s learning using various Evidenced Based Curriculum's including but not limited to Parents as Teachers and Great Beginnings
- Identify protective factors within family systems that need strengthening and skill building and with the help of the Supervisor develop a family service plan to address concerns
- Provides support to families in identifying, obtaining and accessing community resources. Empower families to apply these skills with future needs
- Maintains a flexible working schedule to accommodate families’ schedule
- Assess families in multiple areas and maintain fidelity and validity to assessment models, including but not limited to: The Healthy Families Parenting Index, Ages and Stages Questionnaire, PHQ 9 depression screening
- Observe and Assess Parent-Child Interactions and work with Supervisor and Family to strengthen interactions
- Maintains accurate and timely case records documenting all services provided
- Maintains monthly reporting and data entry as required by the contract and agency requirements
- Develop and Deliver Parenting Groups to enhance and support protective factors and program goals
- Assures security of confidential information and materials, following HIPAA
- Networks and develops relationships with various community service agencies
- Attends agency, program and collaborative meetings as assigned
- Accepts direction and reports to Family Support Specialist Supervisor or Program Manager for direct supervision
- Attends and participates in ongoing training, cultivates an attitude of continuous learning
- Actively participate in all parts of Supervision, maintain an open and objective approach to exploring your thoughts and feelings as is related to the work to engage in the parallel process.
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in child development, social work, psychology, education and/or related human services field. Demonstrated experience in in-home, low income, family-based services and/or commensurate experience may qualify. Knowledge: Knowledge of community resources. Abilities: Demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Ability to provide support, structure, empathy, sound judgment, insight into human behavior and family relations. Skills: Effective communication skills. Must be a team player and be able to work independently. Computer literate as appropriate. Bilingual in Arabic. Other requirements: Must have a valid driver’s license, insurance and a reliable vehicle and be willing to use it on the job.
- Reading and typing on a computer frequently.
- Sitting for long periods of time at required meetings, supervision and home visits.
- Daily traveling in car to in home visits.
- Walking to and from visits
- Sitting on the floor during visits
- Office space may be shared with frequent telephone and visitor contacts
- The noise level fluctuates from quiet to noisy.
- When the office is full, it is a challenge to find a quiet and private location to hold a meeting.
- Flexible hours with occasional evenings and weekends response
Home Start, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel because of gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or gender expression, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.