Lone Star Family Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Community Health Worker (Huntsville)
at Lone Star Family Health
- Job Title
- Community Health Worker (Huntsville)
- Job ID
- Huntsville, TX
- Other Location
The Community Health Worker (CHW) position will be located in Huntsville. This position will have both administrative and patient care responsibilities.
The CHW will work closely with medical providers, social services agencies, schools and the Huntsville community to provide short-term care coordination and connection to resources and support to patients. The Community Health Worker acts as a patient advocate and supporter to improve health and general well-being through education, outreach, advocacy, navigation, and coordination of care.
Essential job functions:
- Conduct in person and community education meetings and activities to inform the public about Lone Star Family Health Center (LSFHC) services in Huntsville.
- Conduct blood pressure and blood glucose screenings during outreach events to improve access to and encourage entry into primary care at LSFHC.
- Coaches patients in effective management of their chronic health conditions and self-care. Assists patients in understanding care plans and instructions. Motivates patients/clients to be active and engaged participants in their health and overall well-being.
- Assists clients in accessing health related services, including but not limited to: obtaining a medical home, providing instruction on appropriate use of the medical home, overcoming barriers to obtaining needed medical care and /or social services.
- Provides support and advocacy during initial medical visit or when necessary to assure clients' medical needs and referrals required are being conveyed to care providers. Follows up with both clients and providers regarding health/social services plans.
- Continuously expands knowledge and understanding of LSFHC Eligibility programs and the community resources and services available in the surrounding communities.
- Facilitates client access to community resources, including locating housing, food, clothing, prenatal classes, parenting, and providers to teach life skills, and relevant mental health services. Assists clients in utilizing community services, including scheduling appointments with social services agencies and assisting with completion of applications for programs for which they may be eligible.
- Works collaboratively and effectively within a team. Establishes positive, supportive relationships with participants and provides feedback to other members of the team. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with the clients, providers, nurse case managers, agency representatives, supervisors and office staff, from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Works to reduce cultural and socio-economic barriers between clients and institutions.
- Participate in weekly team meetings and special projects as assigned. Weekly reporting of community outreach activities required.
- Evaluates the success of outreach activities and programs and identifies needs for new activities/programs.
Bilingual – English and Spanish required.
Medical Assistant preferred.