Phoenix Elementary School District #1
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
School Nurse- Sub
at Phoenix Elementary School District #1
This is a part-time substitute position and not eligible for health benefits.
The School Nurse is employed to give leadership and guidance in the development and maintenance of a total School Health Program. The School Nurse functions as the manager of health care services within the School Health Program. The School Nurse is the deliverer of health services; an advocate for the rights of children; counselor for health concerns of children, families, and staff; and educator for school/community health concerns. She/he provides health services as needed for students. The Substitute School Nurse covers campuses when district employees are absent on campuses where health services are critical for chronic conditions in the student population.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Additional duties may be assigned
- Complies with State Law and District policies and regulations.
- Health Appraisal - Assesses and evaluates the health and developmental status of the students in order to make a nursing diagnosis and establish priority for action.
- Communicable Disease Program- Responsible for implementing the prevention and control of communicable diseases in the school, for the protection of all pupils and school personnel, in compliance with the rules and regulations established by the local and Arizona State Health Department (ADHS).
- Manages chronic health conditions at school- Including diabetes, asthma, spina bifida, cerebral palsy…
- Performs special procedures to maintain optimum health of students with special health needs-glucose monitoring, giving insulin, medications, bladder catheterization, diapering, tube feeding, tracheostomy care, emotional support.
- Environmental Health and Accident Prevention - Assists with plans to promote an environment conducive to health and safety. Completes accident/incident reports as needed. Inspects premises to ensure students are safe as needed.
- Care of the Sick and Injured - Assumes the responsibility in caring for the sick and injured in the school in accordance with school policy and the accepted standards of practices for Nurses. Upon consultation with the Health and Wellness Coordinator, may need to intervene with Child Protective Services when deemed appropriate.
- Documents all care given to students daily, submits same to Health and Wellness Coordinator at the end of the day to ensure timely electronic submission.
- Performs such related duties - as determined necessary by the Health and Wellness Coordinator and School Administrator.
The School Nurse shall be responsible to the Building Administrator, the Health and Wellness Coordinator, and the Director of Student Services.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, be a person of high integrity and maintain confidentiality. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Registered Nurse certification required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) proficiency is preferred.
- Possession of a current license to practice as a professional Registered Nurse in Arizona.
- Two years of successful clinical nursing practice as a Registered Nurse preferred.
- State school nurse certification, to be achieved in first three years, preferred.
- Knowledge of the following - the total School Health Program, specific school nursing responsibilities, factors influencing the learning process, public health principles, health education, and public relations.
- Ability to - interpret and carry out the School Health Programs; cooperate and work effectively with students, parents, faculty, and community; show flexibility in adapting to varying cultural and racial groups; make sound judgments and decisions in a wide variety of situations under pressure.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, etc.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Board members, administrators, staff and the general public.
- Ability to use basic mathematical skills in maintaining departmental budgets and calculate drug dosages.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations in an effective manner.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 pounds such as boxes, supplies, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Contact Information
Monday, April 20, 2020 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)