Presbyterian Healthcare Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SVP-CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
at Presbyterian Healthcare Services
- Requisition ID
- Default: Location : City
- Location : Name
- Rev Hugh Cooper Admin Center
- Default: Location : State/Province (Full Name)
- New Mexico
In collaboration with the CEO, Board of Directors and other senior leadership team members, the CFO establishes and supports the mission, vision, values, and strategic direction for Presbyterian Healthcare Services (PHS). He/she will create an environment for successful organizational performance and accepts responsibility, corporately, for the financial performance and financial viability of PHS.
He/she will clearly and enthusiastically articulate a vision with all stakeholders regarding the healthcare industrys transformation from a hospital centered organization to a health system focusing on population health management, wellness/prevention, and accountable care.
In the wake of continuous health care reform, the CFO will work with the senior team to develop innovative ways to provide high quality, cost-effective, and innovative ways of delivering exceptional clinical outcomes. The CFO will lead payor negotiations and risk bearing strategies, particularly to help position PHS within the market and enable them to deliver excellent financial performance. In addition, this individual will play a key role in developing PHSs recent initiatives to partner with other states in creating, developing and managing various health insurance businesses in these states.
Establish and maintain the mission, vision, values, and strategic direction for PHS:
* Demonstrates the ability to clearly articulate the mission, vision, values, and strategic direction of PHS to appropriate audiences.
* In collaboration with the leadership team develops and implements the annual capital and operating budgets and strategic planning initiatives for PHS.
* Coordinates and facilitates operationalizing of the strategic plan at the various levels (business unit, department, service lines).
* Consistently demonstrates behaviors which support the values of PHS.
* Establishes, maintains, and/or modifies policies and procedures which provide the infrastructure for the system.
* Has knowledge of ethical, financial, legal, and regulatory requirements pertinent to healthcare and performs accordingly.
* Practices and supports a process management and improvement philosophy to facilitate the accomplishment of goals and objectives.
* Demonstrates proficiency in executing financial/fiscal responsibilities.
* In collaboration with the leadership team makes sound decisions which positively affect the financial management of PHS resources.
* Understands and responds appropriately to the threats and opportunities in the external environment which have the potential to impact PHS financial position.
* Is responsible and accountable to the Board(s) and leadership team for the financial performance of departments/service lines/business units reporting to this position.
* Provides support and assistance to direct reports and operations leaders for developing and operationalizing annual expense and capital budgets.
* Manages the processes of financial reporting, regulatory and tax reports, and external audits.
* Provides the stewardship and leadership necessary for PHS to meet its financial targets.
Leads short term/long term financial initiatives:
* Develop effective financial systems that support the successful operation of PHSs strategies. Establish policies, programs, and processes which ensure consistent actions, financial practices, and results reporting throughout the system.
* Develop ambitious revenue cycle targets and operational alignment to enhance and continue the financial well-being of the system.
* Lead the analysis and due diligence of existing business entities and product lines relative to aligning, restructuring, and reengineering to meet strategic objectives.
* Identify and assess new strategic business and revenue generation opportunities, including the consideration of any key risks/challenges.
* Establish strong relationships with credit rating agencies, financial institutions, investment advisors and external auditors in order to maximize capital opportunities.
* Direct strategies, protocols, and processes related to debt financing, capital planning, investments, and other key financial areas.
* Achieve and maintain a bond rating equivalent of AA (minimally) with respective credit rating agencies.
* Lead and participate in negotiating key business transactions and contractual arrangements both in New Mexico and other states.
* Structure and participate in pivotal decisions regarding strategic initiatives, partnerships and ventures.
* Oversee the analysis and advice on major business transactions related to any major acquisition, sale of assets or contracted commitments.
* Lead the management of assets and debt structure in a way that comports with the risk tolerance as established by the Board.
* Work closely with the Finance and Budget, Audit and Compliance, and Investment Committees; serve as the key staff person to those Board level committees and ensure that timely, accurate and complete financial information and reports are disseminated to the Board of Directors and required outside agencies.
Works in partnership with others to accomplish the goals of the organization:
* Is an effective communicator who listens and speaks with the ability to engender confidence and trust.
* Possesses interpersonal skills to positively influence broad, diverse groups, including team members, physicians, Board members, and community groups.
* Fosters and reinforces collaborative and collegial relationships and work environment.
* Promotes positive working relationships by successfully applying negotiation skills to resolve conflict.
* Collaborates system-wide to promote the common good and to ensure the overall success of the system versus divisions within the system.
* Fosters and implements team-building strategies that facilitate effective interpersonal relationships.
* Serves as a PHS representative to professional, civic and community organizations.
Develops and maintains a customer-driven culture within PHS:
* Consistently treats others with compassion, care, and respect.
* Demonstrates through words and actions a genuine customer-oriented philosophy.
* Sets clear expectations for others regarding behaviors that are customer and service-oriented.
* Is responsive to the needs and expectations of customers and consumers and directs efforts toward problem resolution and/or improved performance.
* Recognizes and rewards others for behaviors that exceed customer expectations.
Possesses the necessary leadership skills to positively affect the direction of PHS:
* Embraces change and manages it effectively.
* Demonstrates creativity in defining and solving problems.
* Unwavering integrity and ethics. Acts with honor and character.
* Assumes risk-taking behaviors to enable change and supports similar behaviors in others.
* Has the ability to focus and influence others to ensure effective organizational performance.
* Is self-directed and displays the confidence necessary to initiate needed actions for problem resolution.
Facilitates the professional growth and development of staff and others:
* Recruits and selects appropriate candidates for available positions based on position requirements and competencies.
* Coaches and mentors direct reports and others to ensure individual and organizational effectiveness and succession planning initiatives.
* Sets job expectations and performance standards for PHS team members which contribute to the overall success of the system.
* Identifies developmental opportunities for direct reports and others which facilitate their professional growth.
* Supports the development and implementation of programs, processes, and policies which ensure that team members are competent to perform their required duties.
* Masters degree in Business Administration or equivalent experience is required.
* A minimum of 10 to 15 years of progressive senior financial management experience in provider healthcare and/or health insurance with demonstrated effectiveness is required.
* Proven leadership and experience in a large, mission based, integrated healthcare delivery system is highly desired.
* Must have a proven track record of success in leading profitable financial operations for a multi-site, complex healthcare enterprise with a challenging payor mix.
* Strong knowledge and skills across all aspects of the finance function (financial operations, budgeting, strategic financial & capital planning, revenue cycle, treasury/investments, decision support, IT systems, etc.) is required.
* Experience in an environment inclusive of successful risk based/value based reimbursement strategies in Medicare, Medicaid and/or Commercial markets is highly desirable.
* Role models Presbyterians CARES Commitments and personally engages in Presbyterians commitments to its patients, members and communities.
* Values-driven leader with unassailable integrity.
* Highly collaborative leadership style and the ability to work successfully in a highly matrixed environment.
* Skills in establishing a balanced perspective on achieving both mission effectiveness and business results is critical.
* Must have a strong understanding of and demonstrated skills in leadership, strategic management, change management, communications, team building, continuous quality improvement, problem solving, decision-making, innovation, financial management of operations and stewardship of resources.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with a variety of individuals including the executive team, board members, physicians, other employees, and external constituents.
* Ability to motivate and inspire others.
* Ability to work in a rapidly changing and stressful environment.
* Ability to make independent decisions as necessary.
* Ability to solve management issues and direct numerous and varied operations.
* Ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the necessary programs, goals, policies, and objectives that are necessary for leading and maintaining a sound financial operation.
* Knowledge of hospital, health insurance, and physician practice management as well as the laws, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to these health care sectors.
* Ability to interact and partner effectively with both employed and independent physicians, statewide business community leaders, and other leading health systems outside of New Mexico.
* Master Degree
Benefits are effective day-one (for .45 FTE and above) and include:
- Competitive salaries
- Full medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Free wellness programs
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Retirement plans, including matching employer contributions
- Continuing education and career development opportunities
- Life insurance and short/long term disability programs
Presbyterian Healthcare Services is a locally owned, not-for-profit healthcare system of nine hospitals, a statewide health plan and a growing multi-specialty medical group. Founded in New Mexico in 1908, it is the state's largest private employer with approximately 11,000 employees.
Presbyterian's story is really the story of the remarkable people who have chosen to work here. Starting with Reverend Cooper who began our journey in 1908, the hard work of thousands of physicians, employees, board members, and other volunteers brought Presbyterian from a tiny tuberculosis sanatorium to a statewide healthcare system, serving more than 700,000 New Mexicans.
We are part of New Mexico's history - and committed to its future. That is why we will continue to work just as hard and care just as deeply to serve New Mexico for years to come.
About New Mexico
New Mexico's unique blend of Spanish, Mexican and Native American influences contribute to a culturally rich lifestyle. Add in Albuquerque's International Balloon Fiesta, Los Alamos' nuclear scientists, Roswell's visitors from outer space, and Santa Fe's artists, and you get an eclectic mix of people, places and experiences that make this state great.
Cities in New Mexico are continually ranked among the nation's best places to work and live by Forbes magazine, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, and other corporate and government relocation managers like Worldwide ERC.
New Mexico offers endless recreational opportunities to explore, and enjoy an active lifestyle. Venture off the beaten path, challenge your body in the elements, or open yourself up to the expansive sky. From hiking, golfing and biking to skiing, snowboarding and boating, it's all available among our beautiful wonders of the west.
AA/EOE/VET/DISABLED. PHS is a drug-free and tobacco-free employer with smoke free campuses.