Sandoval Regional Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Financial Counselor 1.0 F/T
at Sandoval Regional Medical Center
Financial Counselor 1.0 F/T
|Department:||Patient Financial Services|
|Location:||Rio Rancho, NM|
DIRECTOR/SUPERVISOR PATIENT ACCESS
Job Summary and Scope
This position will be responsible for working with patients in determining their financial obligations, and means by which they can meet those obligations. These duties will include determining co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles for insured patients, identify and arrange for approval of community and other resources for patients who have an inability to pay, establishing payment plans, and processing applications for financial assistant with the hospital. Serve as onsite support for billing needs. This position will also cross train to be functional in the areas of patient registration, insurance verification, and obtaining prior authorizations.
- POLICIES AND PROCEDURES - Maintain established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality assurance programs
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reading current literature, attending in-services, meetings and workshops.
- Explain, Assist, and process applications for the hospital’s and State, County or Federal Financial Assistance Programs.
- Proactively screen patients for Medicaid and or Financial assistance prior to clinical appointment if possible.
- Using CDM coding and CPT/ICD coding; create the patient estimates and collect on that estimate prior to services.
- Provide patients with their balances and options to pay on their account. Use billing system to Establish payment plans. Remove patients from collections as appropriate.
- Maintain a current and correct accounting of patients who are approved for Financial Assistance/Fed/State or County Programs. Including reviewing for expirations and renewals.
- Maintain departmental reports and records; collect statistical data for administrative and regulatory purposes.
- Understand the registration, insurance verification, and prior authorization processes in order to serve as a back-up or fill in as needed.
- Attend technical and administrative meetings; participate in committee functions; participate in hospital-wide activities and committees within the scope of this position or as directed.
- Serve as on site billing and Accounts Receivable rep.
- Offer patient portal for online medical records access.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
SRMC Core Values
Integrity: Our words and actions match our values
To Serve: We put the needs of others before our own
Excellence: We strive to exceed expectations and/or standards in every activity, every encounter, and every initiative
Safety/Quality: We provide evidence based care, programs, services, and an environment that achieves the best outcomes
Teamwork: We enjoy the ability and power to work collaboratively to deliver exceptional service
- Position doesn’t have the scope of decision making, budget, assets and planning responsibilities
- Ability to explain complicated processes to patients
- Ability to use MS office programs
- Basic telephone and computer knowledge
- Prefer Bilingual
- Ability to follow mathematical formulas
Education: Associates Degree in Liberal Arts, Business, Accounting, or Finance or; High School Diploma (GED) with 2 years in Patient Access. Admitting, Social services, Charge entry, patient billing or financial counseling in a medical, banking or brokerage company.
Licenses/Certifications: Upon obtaining employment: Social Security Disability (SOAR Represenetive) (18 months), Medicaid (1 year), Affordable care Act Navigator (12 months), Notary Public (6 months), Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) or Certified Healthcare Access Management. (CHAM), (18 months) If you already have a CRIP or CRCS through AAHAM that is acceptable in Lieu of the CHAM or CHAA.
Preferred Educational/Experience Requirements: 2 years with income support division for the State or 2 year as a NM Health Exchange Navigator.
- No Supervisory requirements
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference checks and a post offer drug screen.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Tuberculin Skin Test required annually
- Hospital required vaccinations
- Hospital required competencies
- Typical office and/or patient care, acute care hospital environment.
- Must be able to travel locally between facilities and within the surrounding community.
- Occasional exposure to minimal physical risk