The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR JRP
at The Geo Group
Facility: RS MERCED CA DRC
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Provides inmates and detainees with the tools and knowledge to prepare for reentry into the community. Provides individual and group counseling in self-esteem, problem solving, relationships, and other related issues. Assists the inmate and detainee to secure direct communication with Day Reporting Center (DRC) Post Release Case Manager, substance abuse, educational, employment and/or other free world community social resources that can assist in successful reintegration into society.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates substance abuse program at an office or group of offices using principles of the “What Works” system. Schedules intakes, and group and individual sessions. Discusses specific cases with case managers to determine if they are appropriate for substance abuse treatment. May assist with the assignment of cases.
- Facilitates psycho-educational/behavior modification groups using principles of the “What Works” system. Documents participants’ attendance, participation and progress in Company database.
- Conducts risk/need assessments and creates individual treatment plans for each assigned participants’. Meets regularly with participants’ and documents participants’ progress or regress in Company database.
- Notifies the Program Manager and CDCR staff of any problems/issues involving any program or participant services/treatment plan.
- Conducts and participates in case conferences for each participant assigned to the caseload.
- Conduct initial interviews of participants assigned to the SAT program.
- Review the participant’s services treatment plan with the Program Manager.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with outside referral sources, such as in-patient substance abuse facilities or detox facilities. Actively pursues and develops referrals from probation and evaluating agencies.
- Identifies problem areas that may impact participants’ ability to successfully complete treatment. Guides participants’ to develop strategies to overcome obstacles to success completion of treatment.
- May advise Customer of participants’ progress regularly or at completion of treatment.
- Ensures that participants’ records are accurately completed in a timely manner.
- May maintain a specific substance abuse treatment case file for every program participant.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegian relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Participates in related training for substance abuse.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required; BA Degree preferred but not required
- Registered Alcohol Drug Technician (RADT) required; Alcohol and Drug (AOD) Counselor certification recognized by CCAPP or other certified Drug and Alcohol Program.
- Two (2) years experience providing substance abuse treatment and/or cognitive behavioral therapy services to an offender population preferred
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual preferred but not required
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER