University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Community Health Worker - req# 14124
at University of New Mexico
Community Health Worker
|Working Title||Community Health Worker|
|Position Summary|| |
The Institute for Resilience, Health, and Justice, established in 2015, is the University of New Mexico's institute for research, education, and service to identify and construct resilience among individuals and communities confronting justice and health disparities at the crossroads of medicine and law. We are seeking a Community Health Worker to join our team. Specific duties are listed below:
1. Assists clients in their homes, community, clinic settings. Communicates to clients/patients the purposes of the ADOBE program and the impact it may have on their wellbeing. Helps patients identify socio-economic issues that affect their overall health and develop health/ educational/ legal management plans and goals.
2. Documents all client encounters and contracts made on behalf of clients; completes and submits monthly reports; maintains comprehensive electronic client files, which include client notes, release of information, assessments and other medical documents acquired on behalf of the client. Documents activities, service plans, and outcomes achieved by client into REDcap database.
3. Educates client on the proper use of the Emergency Room, and provides information for alternatives. Coaches patients in effective management of their chronic health conditions and self-care. Assists patient in understanding care plans and instructions. Motivates clients and their families to be active and engaged participants in their health and overall wellbeing.
4. Assists clients in accessing health related services through ADOBE wrap around services.
5. Provides support and advocacy during medical visits with ADOBE or when necessary to assure clients' medical needs and referrals required are being conveyed.
6. Continuously expands knowledge and understanding of community resources and services. Facilitates client and their families’ access to community resources, including locating housing, food, clothing, prenatal classes, parenting, and providers to teach life skills. Assists clients in utilizing community services, including scheduling appointments with social services agencies and assisting with completion of applications for programs for which they may be eligible.
7. Facilitates communication and coordinate services between providers of the ADOBE team and the clients. Coordinates and monitors services, including comprehensive tracking of clients' compliance in relation to care plan objectives.
8. Works collaboratively and effectively within a team. Establishes positive, supportive relationships with participants and provides feedback to other members of the team. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with the clients, providers, supervisors, office staff and UNMMG providers and administration, from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Works to reduce cultural and socio-economic barriers between clients and institutions.
9. Travels extensively to client homes, community locations, various agencies, and other outreach destinations.
10. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
TERM APPOINTMENT; FUNDING AVAILABLE THROUGH 06/30/2022; CONTINUANCE BEYOND THAT DATE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF ADDITIONAL FUNDING.
|Conditions of Employment|
High school diploma or GED; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Inst for Resilient Health & Justice (340C)|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||06/30/2022|
|Pay||$12.38 - $18.57 (HOURLY)|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date||11/23/2020|
|Application Instructions||A complete application will include your Resume, Cover Letter and contact information for 3 Supervisor References. All 3 must be attached.|