Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Valleywise Health
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Language Services
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the supervision of the Manager Language & International Programs and Supervisor Language Services, this position provides accurate face to face, telephonic and video interpretations from English into Spanish and vice versa of medical and non-medical information in direct services to physicians and/or other health care providers and staff who serve patients, their families or other community members who cannot speak or understand English, when specifically required by the provider. Conducts sight translations of basic healthcare documents by orally translating the content.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED, and must be a graduate of a Bilingual Assistant course or other accredited language interpretation certification program. A Bachelor's degree in Spanish, Language or Bilingual Education is preferred.
- Requires up to one (1) year of healthcare interpretation experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must successfully complete a Bilingual Assistant course.
- Prefer certification through an accredited language interpretation certification program (e.g. Certification Commission of Healthcare Interpreters or National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English and Spanish.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish as spoken in the
- Must have acute knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity and language of targeted populations.
- Current knowledge of medical terminology in English and Spanish, interpretation techniques, interviewing and communication skills.
- Requires excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service cultural competence skills.
- Must have and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency and professionalism when interpreting.
- Due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed by this position, a high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.